Conflicts of Interest
The authors certify that they have no affiliations with or involvement in any organization or entity with any financial interest, or non-financial interest in the subject matter or materials discussed in this manuscript.
1. Ellickson PL, Orlando M, Tucker JS, Klein DJ. From adolescence to young adulthood: racial/ethnic disparities in smoking. Am J Public Health. 2004;94(2):293-299.
2. Centers for Disease C, Prevention. Racial disparities in smoking-attributable mortality and years of potential life lost --- Missouri, 2003-2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59(46):1518-1522.
3. Trinidad DR, Perez-Stable EJ, White MM, Emery SL, Messer K. A nationwide analysis of US racial/ethnic disparities in smoking behaviors, smoking cessation, and cessation-related factors. Am J Public Health. 2011;101(4):699-706.
4. Soulakova JN, Huang H, Crockett LJ. Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Consistent Reporting of Smoking-Related Behaviors. J Addict Behav Ther Rehabil. 2015;4(4).
5. Blumenthal DS. Racial and ethnic disparities in smoking prevalence in Israel and the United States: progress to date and prospects for the future. Isr J Health Policy Res. 2017;6(1):51.
6. Laveist TA, Thorpe RJ, Jr., Mance GA, Jackson J. Overcoming confounding of race with socio-economic status and segregation to explore race disparities in smoking. Addiction. 2007;102 Suppl 2:65-70.
7. Reid JL, Hammond D, Driezen P. Socio-economic status and smoking in Canada, 1999-2006: has there been any progress on disparities in tobacco use? Can J Public Health. 2010;101(1):73-78.
8. Zhang X, Martinez-Donate AP, Jones NR. Educational disparities in home smoking bans among households with underage children in the United States: can tobacco control policies help to narrow the gap? Nicotine Tob Res. 2013;15(12):1978-1987.
9. Anderson SJ. Marketing of menthol cigarettes and consumer perceptions: a review of tobacco industry documents. Tob Control. 2011;20 Suppl 2:ii20-28.
10. Cokkinides VE, Halpern MT, Barbeau EM, Ward E, Thun MJ. Racial and ethnic disparities in smoking-cessation interventions: analysis of the 2005 National Health Interview Survey. Am J Prev Med. 2008;34(5):404-412.
11. Tran ST, Rosenberg KD, Carlson NE. Racial/ethnic disparities in the receipt of smoking cessation interventions during prenatal care. Matern Child Health J. 2010;14(6):901-909.
12. Greaves L, Hemsing N. Women and tobacco control policies: social-structural and psychosocial contributions to vulnerability to tobacco use and exposure. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2009;104 Suppl 1:S121-130.
13. Shervin A, Ritesh M. Diminished Return of Employment on Ever Smoking Among Hispanic Whites in Los Angeles. Health Equity. 2019;3(1):138-144.
14. Assari S, Mistry R. Educational Attainment and Smoking Status in a National Sample of American Adults; Evidence for the Blacks' Diminished Return. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15(4).
15. Assari S, Mistry R. Erratum: Assari, S.; Mistry, R. Educational Attainment and Smoking Status in a National Sample of American Adults; Evidence for the Blacks' Diminished Return. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15, 763. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15(10).
16. Assari S BM. Unequal Effects of Educational Attainment on Workplace Exposure to Second-Hand Smoke by Race and Ethnicity; Minorities’ Diminished Returns in the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS). . J Med Res Innov 3(2):e000179.
17. Reimer RA, Gerrard M, Gibbons FX. Racial disparities in smoking knowledge among current smokers: data from the health information national trends surveys. Psychol Health. 2010;25(8):943-959.
18. Rock VJ, Davis SP, Thorne SL, Asman KJ, Caraballo RS. Menthol cigarette use among racial and ethnic groups in the United States, 2004-2008. Nicotine Tob Res. 2010;12 Suppl 2:S117-124.
19. Terry-McElrath YM, Wakefield MA, Emery S, et al. State anti-tobacco advertising and smoking outcomes by gender and race/ethnicity. Ethn Health. 2007;12(4):339-362.
20. Keeler C, Max W, Yerger V, Yao T, Ong MK, Sung HY. The Association of Menthol Cigarette Use With Quit Attempts, Successful Cessation, and Intention to Quit Across Racial/Ethnic Groups in the United States. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017;19(12):1450-1464.
21. Giovenco DP, Spillane TE, Merizier JM. Neighborhood differences in alternative tobacco product availability and advertising in New York City: Implications for health disparities. Nicotine Tob Res. 2018.
22. Assari S BM, Caldwell CH. Association Between Parental Educational Attainment and Youth Outcomes and Role of Race/Ethnicity. JAMA Network Open. 2020;2(11).
23. Assari S, Bazargan M. Protective Effects of Educational Attainment Against Cigarette Smoking; Diminished Returns of American Indians and Alaska Natives in the National Health Interview Survey. International Journal of Travel Medicine and Global Health. 2019.
24. Assari S, Caldwell CH. Family Income at Birth and Risk of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder at Age 15: Racial Differences. Children (Basel). 2019;6(1).
25. Assari S, Farokhnia M, Mistry R. Education Attainment and Alcohol Binge Drinking: Diminished Returns of Hispanics in Los Angeles. Behav Sci (Basel). 2019;9(1).
26. Assari S. Family Socioeconomic Position at Birth and School Bonding at Age 15; Blacks' Diminished Returns. Behav Sci (Basel). 2019;9(3).
27. Assari S. Parental Educational Attainment and Academic Performance of American College Students; Blacks’ Diminished Returns. Journal of Health Economics and Development. 2019;1(1):21-31.
28. Assari S. Socioeconomic Determinants of Systolic Blood Pressure; Minorities’ Diminished Returns. Journal of Health Economics and Development. 2019;1(1):1-11.
29. Assari S, Helmi H, Bazargan M. Health Insurance Coverage Better Protects Blacks than Whites against Incident Chronic Disease. Healthcare (Basel). 2019;7(1).
30. Assari S, Schatten HT, Arias SA, Miller IW, Camargo CA, Boudreaux ED. Higher Educational Attainment is Associated with Lower Risk of a Future Suicide Attempt Among Non-Hispanic Whites but not Non-Hispanic Blacks. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2019.
31. Chalian H, Khoshpouri P, Assari S. Patients’ age and discussion with doctors about lung cancer screening: Diminished returns of Blacks. AGING MEDICINE. 2019;2(1):35-41.
32. Assari S. Parental Education Attainment and Educational Upward Mobility; Role of Race and Gender. Behav Sci (Basel). 2018;8(11).
33. Assari S. Parental Educational Attainment and Mental Well-Being of College Students; Diminished Returns of Blacks. Brain Sci. 2018;8(11).
34. Assari S. Educational Attainment Better Protects African American Women than African American Men Against Depressive Symptoms and Psychological Distress. Brain Sci. 2018;8(10).
35. Assari S. Health Disparities due to Diminished Return among Black Americans: Public Policy Solutions. Social Issues and Policy Review. 2018;12(1):112-145.
36. Assari S. Unequal Gain of Equal Resources across Racial Groups. Int J Health Policy Manag. 2017;7(1):1-9.
37. Assari S, Lankarani MM. Education and Alcohol Consumption among Older Americans; Black-White Differences. Front Public Health. 2016;4:67.
38. Assari S. Association of Educational Attainment and Race/Ethnicity With Exposure to Tobacco Advertisement Among US Young Adults. JAMA Netw Open. 2020;3(1):e1919393.
39. Assari S. Blacks' Diminished Return of Education Attainment on Subjective Health; Mediating Effect of Income. Brain Sci. 2018;8(9).
40. Assari S, Hani N. Household Income and Children's Unmet Dental Care Need; Blacks' Diminished Return. Dent J (Basel). 2018;6(2).
41. Assari S, Caldwell CH, Zimmerman MA. Family Structure and Subsequent Anxiety Symptoms; Minorities' Diminished Return. Brain Sci. 2018;8(6).
42. Assari S, Caldwell CH, Mincy R. Family Socioeconomic Status at Birth and Youth Impulsivity at Age 15; Blacks' Diminished Return. Children (Basel). 2018;5(5).
43. Assari S. Socioeconomic Status and Self-Rated Oral Health; Diminished Return among Hispanic Whites. Dent J (Basel). 2018;6(2).
44. Assari S, Thomas A, Caldwell CH, Mincy RB. Blacks' Diminished Health Return of Family Structure and Socioeconomic Status; 15 Years of Follow-up of a National Urban Sample of Youth. J Urban Health. 2018;95(1):21-35.